Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents may soon be adding a rather unusual piece of equipment to their enforcement arsenal: gloves capable of delivering an electric shock.
An official Department of Homeland Security (DHS) acquisition planning document released Monday shows the agency is getting ready to spend up to $20 million on a somewhat whiz-bangy new piece of law-enforcement gear capable of delivering an electrical jolt to help agents subdue individuals who might resist during a detainment.
The technology is officially called the CTG-5 G.L.O.V.E. – which stands for Generated Low Output Voltage Emitter – and the devices are manufactured in Lexington, Kentucky, by Compliant Technologies LLC. The gloves are not entirely new to law enforcement, and have been used previously by some jails and police departments.
Compliant Technologies says the devices function as a normal pair of patrol gloves until officers press a switch to activate their electrical mode. The gloves must be applied directly to someone’s skin to deliver a pain stimulus that typically helps an officer gain compliance within seconds, according to the company.
“It’s immediate and sharp, and it will distract you. I call it like a bee sting,” said John Peters, president of the Institute for the Prevention of In-Custody Deaths, who is studying how the device has been used. “If the officer is getting any type of resistance from the person, this is certainly an effective tool.”
According to the manufacturer, officers who use the G.L.O.V.E. device must complete a course and be recertified every two years.
They won't say the cost & you have to be a cop to get them. Bet I could make a pair easy enough but really I don't want to be that close to anyone that I would need them for.
ReplyDeleteYes sir, I don't want to have to be that close up with someone I might need to stop. I like to have something that will stop them before they get nearly that close.
DeleteWe're the only ones qualified to use them , just like the night sticks, the black jacks and the ccw they don't want you to have.
ReplyDeleteWho are the only ones qualified to use them?
Delete