Monday, August 31, 2026

Steel Magnolia's - Truvy's Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa Cake

My wife saw a clip of the movie and I’ve seen Steel Magnolia’s twice and I totally missed this scene I guess. We thought it was funny when she said she served it with ice cream to cut the sweetness.


Steel Magnolias is a Southern staple, and, obviously, so is Dolly Parton. Truvy's (Dolly Parton's character) Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa Cake is about as easy as it gets. Simply mix together flour, sugar, and fruit cocktail, and bake until golden.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m66fBLU_fk


I LOVE peach cobbler with ice cream. We do have our own recipe though. It was given to us years ago by one of the sweetest ladies at a church we went to at the time. I personally wouldn’t want to use fruit cocktail because they sometimes use less than ideal fruit and the pears are almost always not the best.


Peach Cobbler


Ingredients:


1 stick (8 tbsps) butter - salted

1 cup sugar

1 cup self-rising flour 

or 

1 cup regular flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt 

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 

3/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 29 oz. can sliced peaches in heavy syrup


Instructions:


Preheat oven to 350. 

Melt butter in microwave. Pour butter onto a deep baking dish (12 x 7 1/2 x 2). Mix sugar and flour well and pour in milk while whisking to prevent any lumps. Pour flour mixture over butter in dish. DO NOT stir.

Spoon peaches on top and pour syrup gently on top after peaches. DO NOT stir.

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until top is beginning to brown. 

Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.



9 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I can feel my blood sugar already spiking my glucose meter... I always enjoyed watching Steel Magnolias and I knew Southern women that mirrored those characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I grew up here in the South and I LOVE southern women and foods. My grandmother on my father's side could take anything you brought her and made it finger-lickin' good. Every one of her kids, men included, had to spend time in the kitchen with her and they all have her skills. If I hadn't grown up with hyperthyroidism, I would have been a very fat child.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I would be proud to have you Bear Claw.

      Delete
    2. You might want to rethink that, slob and and decrepitude doesn't quote describe it clear enough...

      Delete
    3. Sounds like someone might have got their toes stepped on .... oh shit, I mean ... might have got their feelings hurt with the law and order of the Bear Clan.

      Delete
    4. Can I bum a ride, Bear Claw?

      Tom762

      Delete
  3. Gonna have to try that this weekend.
    Thanks
    -lg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love peaches and cobbler, you'll love this recipe. I might make one suggestion that's not in the recipe but it should be. If the peaches are large slices, you might want to cut them in half. If large chunks of peaches don't bother you, make no changes.
      And where it says, "Do Not Stir" ... Do Not Stir. It makes a difference.

      Delete

Lake America And MAGA Mallards

I know he breathes to serve his liberal base but every once in a while he can't help but to interject a little common sense. https://x.c...